- Desktops are easily upgradeable whereas a laptop can be very difficult.
- Desktops usually have better components than laptops meaning they are used for tasks that would be near impossible to run on a laptop
- Desktops are not portable whereas laptops can be taken wherever you go
- Laptops are used for word processing, games that don't require a lot of computer power, and browsing.
- Desktops are used for video/photo editing, gaming (where graphics and frames per second count), and everything the laptop can do.
Computers need both hardware and software. Software couldn't be run without hardware and without software, hardware would be totally useless.
Hardware is everything you can touch that is related to the computer e.g. a USB stick or a motherboard.
Peripherals are any device that can connect to the computer but is not required for it to work.
Examples of peripherals would be...
USB (pendrive, flashdrive, storage stick)
Universal serial bus and other mass storage device's allow for extra data to be stored. You can take these USB sticks and external hard drives everywhere you go and use them to back up any important work you have.